The European Youth Week is an event organised every two years by the European Commission to celebrate and promote the engagement, participation and active citizenship of young people across Europe and beyond.
The European Youth Week 2024, scheduled from 12 to 19 April, will take place two months before the European elections, which are scheduled to take place between 6 and 9 June 2024. This means that democracy and the European elections will both be at the centre of the debate. For young people in Europe, this is an important opportunity to participate more actively in society and put democracy into action.
The Commission also presented several concrete initiatives to address the concerns of young people in five policy areas that are of key importance to them: health and well-being, environment and climate, education and training, international cooperation and European values, employment and inclusion. As part of these measures, for example, the Commission:
- will take forward work towards a Joint European Diploma in 2024, in line with the European Strategy for Universities;
- will set up a platform for regular dialogue and consultations with youth organisations from all over the world through the Platform for Dialogue with Young People in EU External Action;
- will update its quality framework for traineeships in 2024 to address issues such as fair pay and access to social protection;
- will develop guidelines on well-being in schools, due to be published in 2024;
- will target young people with the upcoming climate and democracy campaign ahead of the European elections in 2024;
- will increase volunteering opportunities for young people to address the green transition, complementing the 2024 call for the European Solidarity Corps under Horizon Europe;
- will further implement the ALMA (Aspire, Learn, Achieve) initiative to help disadvantaged young people aged between 18 and 29 to integrate into society and the labour market through a vocational learning experience abroad.
The European Youth Portal: https://youth.europa.eu/home_it
European Youth Week: https://youth.europa.eu/youthweek_it